The Adafruit Motor Shield has been a favorite for quite some time! This board is one of the easiest ways to drive stepper motors and DC motors with an Arduino. Minimal assembly required (just stacking headers and screw terminals) and an excellent Arduino library means this board will have you up and running in no time!
The board uses TB6612 MOSFET drivers with 1.2A per channel current capability (up to 3A peak for roughly 20ms). It also has much lower voltage drops across the motor so you get more torque out of your batteries, and there are built-in flyback diodes as well.
Instead of using a latch and the Arduino’s PWM pins, Adafruit has used a fully-dedicated PWM driver chip onboard. This chip handles all the motor and speed controls over I2C. Only two data pins (SDA & SCL in addition to the power pins GND & 5V) are required to drive the multiple motors, and since it’s I2C you can also connect any other I2C devices or shields to the same pins. This also makes it drop-in compatible with any Arduino, such as the Uno, Due, Leonardo and Mega R3 as well as compatible boards like the Adafruit Metro and SparkFun Redboard.
There are 5 I2C address pins on this board, meaning up to 32 shields can be stacked on a single Arduino – that equates to 64 stepper motors or 128 DC motors!
Header pins and screw terminals are included but not soldered in place. Minimal soldering is required to use this board. If more than one shield is being used we recomend looking at Shield Stacking Headers.
- Up to 4 bi-directional DC motors with individual 8-bit speed selection
- Up to 2 stepper motors (unipolar or bipolar) with single coil, double coil, interleaved or micro-stepping.
- Easy-to-use Arduino software library
- Thermal shutdown protection
- Motor Voltage: 4.5VDC to 13.5VDC
- 2 x Servo Connections
- 4 H-Bridges: 1.2A per bridge (3A peak)
- Motors automatically disabled on power-up
- Polarity protected 2-pin terminal block and jumper to connect external power
- Arduino reset button brought up top
- Internal kickback protection diodes
- Includes breakaway header and terminal blocks
Adafruit Motor Shield V2: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-motor-shield-v2-for-arduino
This product has a 30 Day Warranty from the date of delivery. The item must not be modified, abused, incorrectly hooked up, or used for purposes outside the original scope of design.
This product is returnable Within 14 Days of delivery for a store credit. Item must be unopened, unused, and in re-saleable condition.