This module is the best way to add a GPS to your wearable project. It’s part of the Adafruit Flora series of wearable electronics, designed specifically for use with the Flora motherboard. Installed on the PCB is a small, super-thin, low power GPS module with built in data-logging capability! While these are designed for wearable applications, their small size does make them quite useful for conventional projects as well!
The breakout is built around the MTK3339 chipset, a no-nonsense, high-quality GPS module that can track up to 22 satellites on 66 channels, has an excellent high-sensitivity receiver (-165 dB tracking!), and a built in antenna. It can do up to 10 location updates a second for high speed, high sensitivity logging or tracking. Power usage is incredibly low, only 20 mA during navigation.
The module is kept small and simple, there is a ferrite bead, filter capacitor and red fix LED on board. The LED blinks at about 1Hz while it’s searching for satellites and blinks once every 15 seconds when a fix is found to conserve power. If you want to have an LED on all the time, there is also a FIX signal out on a pin so you can put an external LED on.
Two features that really stand out about the MTK3339-based module is the external antenna functionality and the built in data-logging capability. The module has a standard ceramic patch antenna that gives it -165 dB sensitivity, but when you want to have a bigger antenna, you can snap on any 3V active GPS antenna via the uFL connector. The module will automatically detect the active antenna and switch over!
- Satellites: 22 tracking, 66 searching
- Update rate: 1 to 10 Hz
- Velocity Accuracy: 0.1 meters/s
- Acquisition sensitivity: -145 dBm
- Maximum Velocity: 515m/s
- Operating current: 25mA tracking, 20 mA current draw during navigation
- DGPS/WAAS/EGNOS supported
- Up to 210 PRN channels
- Multi-path detection and compensation
- Jammer detection and reduction
- Diameter: 30.5mm
- Height: 6.25mm
- Patch Antenna Size: 15mm x 15mm x 4mm
- Position Accuracy: < 3 meters
- Warm/cold start: 34 seconds
- Tracking sensitivity: -165 dBm
- Vin range: 3.0-4.3 VDC
- Output: NMEA 0183, 9600 baud default
- FCC E911 compliance and AGPS support (Offline mode : EPO valid up to 14 days )
Flora Wearable GPS: https://learn.adafruit.com/flora-wearable-gps
May We Also Suggest…
This product has a 30 Day Warranty from the date of delivery. The item must not be modified, abused, incorrectly hooked up, or used for purposes outside the original scope of design.
This product is Final Sale and cannot be returned once purchased.